Re: Let's stop feeding the NVidia cuckoo

David Schmitt <david@schmitt.edv-bus.at> wrote:
> On Wednesday 02 March 2005 12:28, Matthew Garrett wrote:
>> Right. If I create an image and only save it as a JPEG (say I've taken a
>> picture with a digital camera and then overlayed some text on top of
>> it), is that sufficient to satisfy DFSG 1?
>
> This has two sides:
>
> 1) Is the JPEG your "source"? If you e.g. have edited in the gimp, saved it
> as .xcf (with the text in a separate layer) probably not. If you have e.g.
> run it through an automated script, adding attribution ("photographed by ...
> at ...") probably yes.

How does the mechanism used to generate the text on the picture alter
how modifiable the end result is?

(Obviously, yes, it would require someone to be willing to package it.
Looking at the number of JPEGs on my system, I'm inclined to believe
they would be)
--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59-chiark.mail.debian.legal@srcf.ucam.org