Re: [Legal] Firefox not truly Free?

William Ballard wrote:
I don't know what to make of this statement:

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/0,39020330,39189475,00.htm
[quote]
The main disadvantage of the deal with Google is that native language versions of Firefox are not permitted to change the default search engine to one that is more useful for searching Web pages in a particular language.[/quote]

You need to not believe everything you read :-)

The Mozilla Foundation has agreed with Google that official builds of "Mozilla Firefox" will have Google as the default search engine. We have similar deals with other search providers to be in the list. This deal is not binding on people who, for example, release a modified Firefox under the Community Edition rules (section 2 of the Trademark Policy):
http://www.mozilla.org/foundation/trademarks/policy.html
And, were Debian to ship a Firefox, it would not be binding on Debian.

Contrary to what the article implies, native language official builds of Firefox do change the search engine to their local version of Google.

Gerv