Re: Let's stop feeding the NVidia cuckoo

>If people could prefer to code in that way back then,
I have no difficulty believing that there are people
today who honestly prefer a similar coding style when
they write device drivers.

Interesting point, yet maybe this coding style was
preferred because of much simpler hardware at the time
(just an uneducated guess) ? That indeed would not
justify using global variables, but it seems there are
now hundreds of registers in a video card. If the
majority of the values is utilized no more than once
or twice, with only a handful that keep being used, it
does not really justify giving them human-friendly
names, but what if the programmer always needs a large
number of them at hand ? Could you clarify this to me
please ? Then again, maybe the nv driver does not take
advantage of much of the possibilities of the cards,
and only uses a handful of registers.
Two problems remain in my opinion:
-security
-the unhackability of the driver, which, if not
contrary to the strict letter of the DFSG, are
colliding at least with its spirit, in my opinion.
Cheers,

Camille d'Alméras