Re: Let's stop feeding the NVidia cuckoo

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 00:58:37 +1100 Daniel Stone wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 26, 2005 at 03:10:47AM -0800, Ben Johnson wrote:
> > I am trying to make sure Debian's
> > stance on software freedom is compatible with that of
> > the FSF and with mine, and if not, try and reconcile
> > them.
>
> The FSF has an issue with X as a whole, as the sample implementation
> (aka XFree86/Xorg) is licensed under a mix of MIT/X11 and
> three-clause BSD licences, both of which are open source rather than
> free software licences.
[...]
> None of X is free as defined by the FSF.  It is open source as defined
> by the OSI, and free as defined by the DFSG, but the FSF would not
> call MIT/X11 or three-clause BSD free software.

Sorry?

The FSF lists both the X11 (a.k.a. MIT) license and the 3-clause BSD
(a.k.a. Modified BSD) license as GPL-Compatible, Free Software Licenses.

See  http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#GPLCompatibleLicenses

They are both simple, permissive non-copyleft licenses, but they are
free software licenses.

[...]
> > To sum it up, even if it can be demonstrated by sheer
> > legalese that nv deserves to be in main, I still lift
> > my voice to show my disaproval. May the naives like me
> > encounter this thread on their favourite search engine
> > !
>
> If you want a fully free software experience, may I suggest a video
> card from one of the few vendors these days who distribute
> specifications to open source developers?

Yes, please.

I can only cite a work-in-progress project: the Open Graphics project.
http://wiki.duskglow.com/index.php/Open-Graphics

But if you know of a modern-day video card with

* accelerated 3D capabilities
* published hardware specs
* Free BIOS and firmware
* Free DRI drivers

that is already in stores waiting for my money, then *please* tell us!

--
          Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.
  Francesco Poli                             GnuPG Key ID = DD6DFCF4