Re: Let's stop feeding the NVidia cuckoo

On Fri, Feb 25, 2005 at 12:02:50PM -0800, Ben Johnson wrote:
> I would like to hear your comments on the matter
> before I submit a bug report asking for the removal
> from base of the nv X driver and possibly also of the
> rivafb kernel module for severe policy violation. The
> code for nv is voluntarily obfuscated, in effect
> making it proprietary: its sole maintainer is an
> NVidia employee, because only him has access to the
> readable source and to the specifications of the
> cards. This post gives a good overview of the problem
> at hand:

As much as the current situation sucks (I avoid nVidia cards for
precisely this reason, personally), this is the stupidest thing I've
ever heard.  If you want to ditch it because of this, I also recommend
chasing the 'nv' driver out of XFree86/X.Org on the same principle, even
though it's not GPL.  After all, no-one but Andy Ritger, Mark
Vojkovitch and Thomas Zander can touch it.

This is utter suicide, and I can only hope that this mail wasn't
serious.

Daniel, with memories of the 'omg vorbis is non-free because itz not
pcm' (or whatever it was) flamewar