Re: mplayer, the time has come

On Thu, Feb 24, 2005 at 10:26:53PM -0800, Sean Kellogg wrote:
> On Thursday 24 February 2005 10:08 pm, Andrew Suffield wrote:
> > That's always a joke. These things are meaningless to big
> > corporations; patent penalties are just a slap on the wrist to
> > them. Their only significant application is when big corporations with
> > big mobs of lawyers go after little guys.
>
> I don't believe that Microsoft's $500,000,000 judgment in the Eola case was a
> slap on the wrist.

I do. That barely scratched their "get-out-of-court-free" cash fund,
which they stoked up precisely so they can effectively ignore such
judgements; it numbers in the tens of billions in liquid capital. It
certainly didn't hurt their position any.

> Find me a case where the "big corporation" goes after the "little
> guys" for any sizable money damages.

RIAA, for one. It's often used as a form of lawyer terrorism; they
don't want money, they want to scare people.

> I'll
> preface it now, as I will again when I report on what she says, this is not
> legal advice and should not be construed as such, I am not a lawyer yet and
> she is not acting as any sort of legal counsel to this list, Debian, or any
> poor developer who may cross paths with this e-mail while doing a google
> search on '$500,000,000' + 'treble'.
>
> *sigh*
> I hate having to write that all the time...

We hate reading it, too.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |