Re: handling Mozilla with kid gloves [was: GUADEC report]

MJ Ray <mjr@dsl.pipex.com> wrote:

> I have given Frank Lichtenheld some comments in the past and
> he's worked them into the pages. I am increasingly of the
> opinion that those pages are broken conceptually, writing
> cast-iron judgements once and forever and tending towards a
> "Debian Free Software Licence Definition".  Despite how much
> it sucks, licences are not a simple red/green choice and it's
> probably reckless to suggest that they are.

In the majority of cases, a license /is/ either free or non-free. In a
small number of cases, the copyright holder chooses to interpret a
license in such a way that this state is changed. In another small
number of cases, the copyright holder imposes additional restrictions or
provides additional exemptions. Again, that changes the freeness of the
software. But these are exceptions to the general case.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59-chiark.mail.debian.legal@srcf.ucam.org