Re: handling Mozilla with kid gloves [was: GUADEC report]

* MJ Ray <mjr@dsl.pipex.com> [2005-01-26 03:29]:
> I think that http://www.debian.org/legal/licenses/ is a mistake which
> should be removed or drastically changed. It divides debian-legal and
> has been a gift to those who always seek to criticise contributors on
> more than one occasion. Can you suggest more productive content?
> See also: http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2004/06/msg00521.html

I've reviewed your arguments in the link above and see what you're
saying; nevertheless, I can the summaries can be helpful, especially
if your advise is taken into account.  Maybe you can work with the
author of the /legal/licenses page to incorporate this feedback and
add more concrete examples (from packages) to the license summaries
(i.e. to show real world examples).  Looking at the CVS history, it
seems that Frank Lichtenheld <djpig@debian.org> put together these
pages.

> I stopped making the periodic summaries and no-one has complained
> yet.  I don't think that communicating what -legal is discussing is
> very interesting to most debian people.

I think the problem is that the summaries were basically a subject
line and a link.  This is really only helpful for people who are very
keen on following -legal anyway.  For others, a summary in the style
of Kernel Traffic
(http://www.kernel-traffic.org/kernel-traffic/index.html) would be
more appropriate; of course, such summaries are also more work.
--
Martin Michlmayr
leader@debian.org