Re: Are Debian logos still non-free?

On Sun, Feb 20, 2005 at 06:17:45PM +0100, Francesco Poli wrote:
> Last time we talked about the Debian logo issue, I almost came to the
> conclusion that trademarks are orthogonal to DFSG-freeness.
>
> But then, the Mozilla trademark issue almost completely changed my mind.
> See also
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2004/12/msg00365.html
> [archive reference of my message dated Fri, 31 Dec 2004 12:18:52 +0100]
> for my doubts and the discussion that followed...

Formally stated, it's approximately "trademarks cannot make a work
strictly non-free, but you may have to replace all instances of the
trademark with something else". Depending on circumstances, this may
be an implicit change-the-name clause (which is okay), or it may be
some trivial but boring work required to generate a free package.

(I continue to reserve judgement about which one Mozilla is, although
it smells like the latter).

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |