Re: PHP non-free or wrongly named?

On Fri, Feb 18, 2005 at 04:34:29PM -0800, Josh Triplett wrote:
> At least according to the FSF, the PHP3 license is GPL-compatible,
> though later PHP licenses are not.  I believe restricting it to "endorse
> or promote" takes it to the level of the 3-clause BSD license, which
> also prohibits endorsement or promotion; as has been previously
> discussed on debian-legal, stating endorsement or promotion is already
> prohibited without permission.

Huh?  BSD says that you can't use the author's name (or other people's
names) to promote stuff.  (That's fine.  It's saying "don't lie".)  It
doesn't say you can't even use the name of the program itself--you can't
say "SourceForge, powered by PHP!"--and I don't know how such a
restriction can possibly be GPL-compatible ...

(Promoting your product by truthfully saying that you use something isn't
comparable to falsely claiming that PHP or its creators endorse your
product ...)

(I don't know how far the "work in conjunction with PHP" allowance goes,
but I doubt it changes anything wrt. GPL-compatibility.)

--
Glenn Maynard