Re: PHP non-free or wrongly named?

Martin Schulze <joey@infodrom.org> wrote:

> Since Debian is (or at least may be) distributing patches in their
> packages that are not part of upstream, we are distributing a derived
> product and hence must not name it PHP.

php3's licence says "must not" but only for "endorse or promote"
which I don't think we're doing, are we?

php4's licence says "may not be called" but isn't "may not ..." a
lot different to "must not ..."? I don't think anyone needs their
permission unless it's infringing on their trademark. Clause
4 appears weak enough to allow debian's use.

As a first attempt to fix, if it's thought to be a problem, can
you ask group@php.net to give blanket permission for php packaging
to be called "PHP" or "PHP for distribution-or-package-system"?

--
MJR/slef
http://people.debian.org/~mjr/