Re: mplayer, the time has come

Ken Bloom wrote:

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 11:46:38 +0100, A Mennucc wrote:
There have been two main problems keeping mplayer out of Debian: licenses
and copyrights.

Licenses:
the upstream code contains some code that is protected by (more or less)
actively enforced licenses: DeCSS code to decode encrypted dvd;
ffmpeg and OpenDivx code to en/decode MPEG4.

Solution:
the DeCSS  is deleted from the package proposed for Debian

What functionality do we lose by doing this?

my packaging of mplayer will play DVDs using libdvdread3 (exactly as xine does)

the DeCSS code inside mplayer is (considered by the upstream authors to be) more optimized and faster ; but including it is troublesome, so the upstream mplayer allows for the deletion of it and the fallback on libdvdread3

a.