Re: Making legal issues as short as possible

On Fri, Feb 11, 2005 at 08:44:32PM +0100, Harald Geyer wrote:
> I don't see anything in our message that is not specific to my
> original wording. Probably you can give me a pointer, why this
> "enhanced version" is still poor.
>
> Especially I don't see why a liberal and short license is a disfavor
> to free software.

It's a new license in circulation.  We already have extremely well-used
and well-understood permissive licenses: the X11 license and 2-clause
BSD.  Using a custom license means that people can't simply tell me
that your software is under the X11 license; I have to read the license
and analyze it, which is much more work (even if it's short).  Nothing
is gained by doing this; it's just license proliferation.

Please see also the first section of

Glenn Maynard