Re: Use of the Debian name for websites

Josh King <josh@dotmil.org> wrote:
> Is there another license then that should be used in place of the GFDL?
> Creative Commons? Something else?

I think the usual advice is for simple contributions to be licensed
under a permissive non-copyleft (like MIT/X11) and full manuals to
be put under the GPL. Any licence which includes non-programs will
probably do. The GPL defines "Program" to include non-programs!

> As for using the Debian name in a domain and site name, is such
> permission required? If so, how can I obtain such permission?

You probably should check your local trademark law and database
(for debian is a trademark in various places) and your domain
registrar's terms and dispute advice. I'm not sure who grants
trademark licences, but in debian I'd start with the debian-project
list as advised by http://www.uk.debian.org/contact

Personally, I think that as long as you're not selling other
utilities or operating systems, and don't fall foul of your
domain terms, there won't be a problem, but I'm not official.

--
MJR/slef
On the wrong end of legal trouble, but not a lawyer