Re: Use of the Debian name for websites

Andrew Saunders wrote:
On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 13:04:08 -0600, Josh King <josh@dotmil.org> wrote:

The goal/intent of the site is to provide new user friendly forums

This part sounds like unnecessary duplication of effort. There are
already a great many such forums in existence, not least
http://forums.debian.net. What would be gained by creating yet
another?

Well, our plan calls for more of a "portal" style setup. The forums would be one part of several other areas (i.e. the usuals of news, graphics/dekstop backgrounds, etc.). Additional features and areas will be added as requested by the site's members. The central idea here is to provide a portal that is flexable and is designed around the idea of welcoming new users, and providing what they want/need to get started.

We plan to post a disclaimer stating that we are not endorsed nor
affiliated with Debian or SPI.

All content on the site will be licensed under the applicable Debian
or GNU accepted licenses, meaning all original content of any kind
generated or developed by or for the site will be free as in beer and freedom.

Sadly, in practice this means that there'd be no guarantee as to the
DFSG-freeness of the content at all, in light of the disagreements
between Debian and the FSF over what constitutes a Free license (the
GNU "Free" Documentation License being one prominent example[1]).

[1] http://people.debian.org/~srivasta/Position_Statement.html

Is there another license then that should be used in place of the GFDL? Creative Commons? Something else?

As for using the Debian name in a domain and site name, is such permission required? If so, how can I obtain such permission?

Thanks,

Josh