Re: Why is choice of venue non-free ?

On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 01:12:33 -0500
Glenn Maynard <glenn@zewt.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 04, 2005 at 04:01:10PM +1100, Glenn L McGrath wrote:
> > I never realised the DFSG was so open to interpretation until now.
>
> It must be interpreted, or it is useless.  I hope you aren't
> suggesting Debian should take an interpretation of the DFSG that
> allows licenses to place unacceptable restrictions on the freedom of
> licensees.

Im suggesting that what different people consider to be "unacceptable"
is going to vary greatly based on perspective, and its obviously not
something that can be refered back to any policy documents.

> My recommendation to you is, rather than complaining about the
> "interpretation" of the DFSG, to instead argue the restriction on its
> own terms: Why should it be allowed?  Why are the side-effects of such
> restrictions (such as those Steve Langasek explained) an acceptable
> cost?  (Debating restrictions is productive, and in the interests of
> Free Software; claiming that boil down to "I don't care if it
> restricts freedom; the DFSG doesn't talk about it" aren't.)

Its debating "user freedom" vs "free software developers freedom", to
argue one is more valuable than the other is a chicken and egg argument.

Discussing different types of chickens and eggs with Steve wont solve
anything from my perspective.

Id prefer to drop the whole argument at this point, you have made your
position clear, i didnt intend it to get this heavy.

Glenn