Re: RFP: gtybalt -- computer algebra system (CAS) based on GiNaC with optional TeXmacs GUI

On Fri, Jan 21, 2005 at 12:43:59AM +0000, Steve McIntyre wrote:
> Glenn Maynard wrote:
> >>
> >> (3) seems to fail the Dissident test.
> >
> >It also seems to require that I provide support for my modified version,
> >which is ridiculous.  Having it made clear that upstream doesn't provide
> >support for the modified version is fine; requiring that I provide it
> >is not.
>
> No, it doesn't! Adding your name as the "primary contact" for support
> in no way obligates you to actually support it. You're perfectly
> capable of saying "no" if people contact you to ask...

It says I have to provide my name and address as the primary contact for
support.  If I don't give any support, then my address isn't a contact for
support at all.  If I don't want to give support, I shouldn't be required
to supply my address as if I'm going to give it.  (The very purpose of this
clause seems to be an upstream author wanting to avoid unwanted support
emails--requiring that I direct them to myself is just a bit hypocritical ...)

It also prohibits me from saying "the primary contact for support is the
foo-dev list; you can subscribe at ...".

--
Glenn Maynard