Re: Eclipse 3.0 Running ILLEGALY on Kaffe

"Michael K. Edwards" <m.k.edwards@gmail.com> writes:

> I wrote:
>> ...  In context, this applies only to derivative works and
>> (copyrightable) collections (the GPL says "collective works", but this
>> is obviously a thinko) under copyright law.  ...
>
> My error -- "collective works" is treated as a synonym for
> (copyrightable) collections in the US version of copyright law (17 USC
> 201).

I'm not sure what you mean to be inferred from this correction.  Do
you think that the Debian OS is not covered by the description of GPL
2b:

"any work that you distribute or publish, that in whole or in part
contains or is derived from the Program or any part thereof"

If it is covered, surely Debian is only exempt because of the mere
aggregation exception.  Kaffe and Eclipse aren't merely aggregated.

-Brian