Re: Eclipse 3.0 Running ILLEGALY on Kaffe

Dalibor Topic <robilad@kaffe.org> writes:

> Brian Thomas Sniffen wrote:
>
>> I'm not talking about running; I'm talking about making a copy of
>> Eclipse and a copy of Kaffe and putting them both on an end-user's
>> system such that when I type "eclipse" I get a program made out of
>> both.
>
> You don't get a program made out of both any more than you get a
> program made out of less (GPL) and eclipse (CPL) by typing
>
> less eclipse

Right.  That's using the less program with some data, that happens to
be eclipse.

> That doesn't make eclipse a derived work of less.

I'm not talking about a derived work; I'm talking about a copy of a
GPL'd work combined with a copy of a GPL-incompatible work.

> As I was politely asked to educate people not getting what a derived
> work is, let me use a nice, graphical analogy. A lot of talk about
> software licensing is crap, so I hope you don't mind me using terms
> everyone, I believe, is familar with.

This isn't about the concept of derivative works; this is about copies
and the grant of permission to copy in GPL 2b.

-Brian