Re: why is graphviz package non-free?

On Fri, Jan 14, 2005 at 10:40:04PM +0100, Florian Weimer wrote:
> For quite a few GPL software projects, this is the only way to get
> changes into upstream.  Does this make the software non-free?  I don't
> think so, even though the process is just legally effective variant of
> the asymmetric license.

"Any modifications you distribute must be under a BSD-like license" is
completely unrelated to "if you want me to include your modifications
in my tree, you must give me extra rights to it".  You're free to require
that I sign over my house, or even to refuse to use my code completely--
requirements to get changes into upstream are completely irrelevant to
freeness.

--
Glenn Maynard