Re: Computer Associates Trusted Open Source License

On Fri, Jan 14, 2005 at 09:17:06AM -0500, Glenn Maynard wrote:
> > and that legal action can
> > not occur until 1 year after the piece of code has entered the program
>
> "No Recipient will bring a legal action under this License more than one year
> after the cause of action arose."  That says that legal action must happen
> within one year of infringement, not that it must wait for one year.  I
> don't know if that's free or not; I also have no idea if it's enforcable.

Varies. It's an attempt at overriding the statute of limitations. Some
jurisdictions permit this, others simply ignore it. I don't remember
which.

I don't think it's not desperately important; collecting damages is
for corporations. All that really matters for free software is that
the courts enforce the license *now*; reparations for past abuses
don't really matter.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |