Re: how to mention GPL in the debian/copyright file

Scripsit Jochen Voss <voss@seehuhn.de>

> Recently Justin Pryzby filed bug #290087 against chbg, claiming that
> the debian/copyright file should instead contain "the 3 paragraphs as
> found in /usr/share/debhelper/dh_make/native/copyright", which turn out
> to be

[snip standard GPL blob]

> 1) Is it required to include the above three paragraphs into the
> debian/copyright file?

What you should include is the exact notice found in the upstream
source which says that the program is covered by the GPL. As far as I
can see from a random sample (src/fnmatch.c) from the source package,
this notice happens to be identical to the blurb you quoted from
debhelper, but if it had been different, you should add the notice
actually found in the upstream source.

--
Henning Makholm            "We can hope that this serious deficiency will be
                      remedied in the final version of BibTeX, 1.0, which is