Re: Drawings similar to well known products. Copyright problems?

On Mon, Jan 10, 2005 at 04:16:16PM -0800, Don Armstrong wrote:
> Almost none of these images appear to actually be affected by whomever
> William claims to own the copyright, unless they are actually
> derivative works of something that is copyrighted.[1]
>
> However, it's quite possible that they are representations of
> trademarks, and as such protected wherever such a company has
> trademarks. [I don't deign to know who actually controlls these
> trademarks, or even if they are really trademarked.]
>
> Yet, even if that's the case, I don't see that there's a point to
> removing these works until we get cease and desist letters from the
> people who own the trademark. If that happens, the maintainer(s) of
> this package will have to act quickly to remove the works in question,
> even if they are in stable... but I'll be really surprised if they
> ever actually care.
>
> Just for the record, I am not a lawyer, and this is not legal advice.
>

> Don Armstrong
>
> 1: I think the phone image is about the closest one to being a
> derivative work of a copyrighted work... but if I'll believe it if the
> artist says that it just drawn based on an idea of what a cell phone
> looks like.

Considering all of that, I think the hummer files could be a problem as
the filename states that the artist wanted to draw a hummer car. As
"HUMMER" is a registered trademark of General Motors Corporation, it may
be a problem. I think I'll change the names of the files in the next
upload.

--
  .''`.  Aurelien Jarno	              GPG: 1024D/F1BCDB73
 : :' :  Debian GNU/Linux developer | Electrical Engineer