Re: mozilla thunderbird trademark restrictions / still dfsg free?

On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 17:24:35 +0000 Gervase Markham wrote:

> Francesco Poli wrote:
> > tbird - Mail client derived from Mozilla Thunderbird
> > ffox - Web browser derived from Mozilla Firefox
> > sbird - ... derived from Mozilla Sunbird
> > moz - Web browser and mail suite derived from Mozilla
>
> For what it's worth (and without making any judgement on the legal
> weight such a view would have, or how far we'd go in trying to
> "enforce" such a view) we'd be very unhappy with "Moz" (a very common
> abbreviation for Mozilla, and used already by the project in various
> ways) and "TBird" (being a very common abbreviation for Thunderbird),
> and not particularly keen on "ffox" either.

If these names are unacceptable, I begin to be concerned that users
won't be able to find the right packages or type the right shell
commands, without having to remember weird mutant names from outer
space...  :-(

Don't you feel that many users will use that really cool
StormyFlyingAnimal MUA without even knowing it actually is Mozilla
Thunderbird with some distro-specific adaptations?
"Mozilla Thunderbird" could be a brand of quality, but who will
acknowledge this, when nobody knows he/she is actually using that
program?

Don't you think that all this defending precious trademarks could result
in being counter-productive?

--
          Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.
  Francesco Poli                             GnuPG Key ID = DD6DFCF4