Re: mozilla thunderbird trademark restrictions / still dfsg free?

Gervase Markham <gerv@mozilla.org> writes:

> However, I don't want to get too far into this conversation until
> we've established whether you will need new names. Ideally, I want to
> get a good understanding of the Debian position on trademarks in
> general, and then go to Chris Beard and Mitchell Baker (with whom the
> trademark buck stops) and see what they say. After they've agreed that
> nothing can be done, if that's their view, then let's talk about
> alternative names.

Debian's goal is distributing a useful and free package.  "Useful"
for these is easy.  Thanks.  "Free" is a bit harder: it means that
recipients have to be able to do Debian-like things with no trouble.
So if you're concerned about quality and interested in protecting
the Mozilla trademark, then Debian should strip it from the packages
it distributes.  Offloading that work to recipients is a bug, from
Debian's point of view.

It's very nice to hear that Mozilla's packaging things to make that
easy -- a really good sign that our actual goals here are closely
aligned.

-Brian