Re: mozilla thunderbird trademark restrictions / still dfsg free?

Francesco Poli wrote:
tbird - Mail client derived from Mozilla Thunderbird
ffox - Web browser derived from Mozilla Firefox
sbird - ... derived from Mozilla Sunbird
moz - Web browser and mail suite derived from Mozilla

For what it's worth (and without making any judgement on the legal weight such a view would have, or how far we'd go in trying to "enforce" such a view) we'd be very unhappy with "Moz" (a very common abbreviation for Mozilla, and used already by the project in various ways) and "TBird" (being a very common abbreviation for Thunderbird), and not particularly keen on "ffox" either.

However, I don't want to get too far into this conversation until we've established whether you will need new names. Ideally, I want to get a good understanding of the Debian position on trademarks in general, and then go to Chris Beard and Mitchell Baker (with whom the trademark buck stops) and see what they say. After they've agreed that nothing can be done, if that's their view, then let's talk about alternative names.

Gerv