Re: mozilla thunderbird trademark restrictions / still dfsg free ?

On Thu, Dec 30, 2004 at 01:30:58AM +0100, Alexander Sack wrote:
> mozilla _wants_ us to make some changes to the thunderbird package in order
> not infringe their trademarks.

We knew this was coming. The Mozilla mob wanted their stuff to be
treated as if it were non-modifiable even though the license doesn't
say so, and we told them to go to hell. Always seemed to me like they
don't really *want* to be free software.

> So my question ... Is thunderbird still free and suitable for main with
> these
> restrictions?

Uhh... with the name modified so as to break the grip of their
trademarks, yes. Without it, probably not; an implicit "You must make
the following modifications before you change anything else" clause is
really pushing it (it's a lot worse than a "change the name" clause).

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |