Re: Using "debian extended xterminal (dext)" as name for a project.

Juergen Lueters <jlueters@intranet-engineering.de> writes:

> We would like to call this project "debian extended xterminal" or short
> "dext".
>
> The question now arises if we can use this name or if there are any
> legal obstacles (copyrights).

No copyrights prevent you from using the name Debian, but different
legal obstacles called trademarks may.

http://www.debian.org/News/1998/19980306a has a reasonable layman's
explanation: The word Debian is a trademark, and it is not OK to use
"Debian" to refer to anything other than the Debian Project or its
direct output.

> The scripts are GPL, of course.

You should make sure you're complying with the licenses of the
components you're using, including the GPL's source distribution
requirement -- are you attaching a source CD to the X Terminal or
something?