Re: LCC and blobs

Matthew Garrett <mgarrett@chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes:

> /why/ those freedoms are no longer necessary. What is it about that code
> that makes the ability to modify and distribute modified varients less
> interesting?

It's not that it's a less interesting problem to create free
firmware.  It's just that it's a different problem.  It is not the
problem addressed by compiling a high-quality OS from free components.

> Why is this arbitrary line a good place to say "Oh, we don't care any
> more"?

Because if Debian can't reasonably ship it, Debian as a project should
move the project of freeing it off of the front burner, and not
compromise utility.

-Brian