Re: GPL and command-line libraries

On Mon, Dec 06, 2004 at 12:51:34AM -0500, Anthony DeRobertis wrote:
> A compiler can only perform a transformation from source to object form
> programmed into it by its creators; it is neither an author nor capable
> of creativity; it can this not produce an original work of authorship or
> thus a derivative work.
>
> If A is derivative work of B, then the compiled form A' is probably too.
> If A is not a derivative work of B, then A' is not either.

I seem to recall someone arguing that A' containing inlined functions
from B would constitute a form of "derivation". At least distributing A'
would also be distributing parts compiled from B.

Regards, David
--
  * Customer: "My palmtop won't turn on."
  * Tech Support: "Did the battery run out, maybe?"