Re: non-free firmware: driver in main or contrib?

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> The reason we don't include free software that has non-free
> dependencies in main is that we want to discourage people from using
> non-free software. If the user already has non-free code in ROM,
> then there is the same amount of non-free software being used.

It's not necessarily to discourage them, it's so that they know when
they're using non-free software, and so that we know what free
software has non-free dependencies, helping to indicate what should be
reimplemented as free software.

If we wanted to discourage people from using non-free software, we
would make vrms Priority: Required, Essential: Yes, and install a
cronjob that e-mailed the known world saying that the admin was a
proprietary software floozie and slept with Bill Gates.

Don Armstrong

--
If a nation values anything more than freedom, it will lose its
freedom; and the irony of it is that if it is comfort or money it