Re: Real names in a football game

O Martes, 14 de Setembro de 2004 ás 22:18:46 +0200, Isaac Clerencia escribía:

> I think this can be illegal (also team names?).

 Yes, it falls under trade mark protection laws. Since team names and logos,
and players' names are big assets for their teams and national leagues (put
Beckam's name in a 5-euro t-shirt and now it's worth 50 euros), they're
"defended" very aggresively.

 Some football ("soccer") games have been released with players with names
like "José García" and "Roberto da Silva" because they couldn't get the
rights to the actual names.

 I'd remove the names (i.e. change them to other, innocuous names) even
without asking as I know the answer beforehand.

> I already have a version without player names ready to be uploaded, removing
> team names should take a little more effort.

 Use city names. Or common prefix + city name + common suffix ("Sporting
Club de A Coruña", "Atlético de Valencia", "Madrid S.A.D.", "Berlin 89",
etc.), but this would possibly re-create actual teams' names.

 Or turn the teams into national selections. Country names (or any
geographical names) aren't protected by trademark laws.

--
   Jacobo Tarrío     |     http://jacobo.tarrio.org/