Re: Open Software License v2.1

On Tue, Sep 14, 2004 at 06:50:50PM +0100, MJ Ray wrote:
> On 2004-09-14 11:40:06 +0100 Andrew Suffield <asuffield@debian.org>
> wrote:
> >On Mon, Sep 13, 2004 at 04:15:59PM -0400, Glenn Maynard wrote:
> >>Using copyright as a defense against patents is fairly new
> >>and I've never seen a consensus on the issue.
> >This habit people have recently developed as dismissing any answers
> >they don't like by claiming "no consensus" is really fucking stupid.
>
> It should probably inspire us to show, explain and/or reference
> consensus, rather than flame the challenger.

Why? It's irrelevant; it's also an unfalsifiable assertion.

This whole "consensus" nonsense is just an excuse to discard any
argument without responding to it. Note how it is only ever advanced
by people who want to discard valid arguments; it is never used by
people who want to introduce one.

There is nothing magic, interesting, relevant, possible, or valid
about "consensus". Whenever you see it, read "unicorn"; the sentence
will still make about as much sense.

We have never settled any issue with unicorns.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |