Re: MTL license

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 17:56:53 -0400, Glenn Maynard <glenn@zewt.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 13, 2004 at 02:35:05PM -0700, Joseph Lorenzo Hall wrote:
> > As well, the fact that is is framed as a "license agreement" invokes
> > contract law instead of pure copyright... in the U.S., contract law is
> > different in every state and some even have gap-filling measures
> > which, in a court of law, would add things to the license that even
> > the licensor didn't intend (choice of venue changes this, but choice
> > of venue provisions are about as non-free as it gets).
>
> Well, I think choice of venue is non-free, but I don't think it's quite
> that severe.  "Send me $10 for every copy made" and "no redistribution
> or modification of any kind" are restrictions I'd call "as non-free as
> it gets"; it's somewhat of an exaggeration to put choice of venue on
> that level.

I wouldn't call it an exaggeration in the sense that they are binding
anyone in the world who licenses their code  to a law and
jurisprudence in one state in the US.  Anyway, it's clear that it is
not-free... we could debate the degree of non-freeness of each part ad
infinitum.

--
Joseph Lorenzo Hall