Re: cdrecord: weird GPL interpretation

On Thu, Sep 09, 2004 at 05:37:35AM -0700, Josh Triplett wrote:
> Sven Luther wrote:

> >>Wasn't the force behind the license "re-interpreation" to stop people from
> >>distributing Pine with a maildir patch?
> >
> > Like cdrecord with a dvdrecord patch, and yaboot with anything but pristing
> > upstream source ? Altough at lest in the yaboot case, it is not licencing that
> > is used, but threat to remove the debian yaboot mention from the official yaboot
> > web page of supported yaboto versions.
>
> That's interesting; could you point me towards a reference for this?  I
> can't seem to find one via Google.  (Or was it in private mail?)

It was in the now archived bug against yaboot :

Me :

  | > BTW, i also have a patch which adds amiga partitioning support to
  | > yaboot, would you consider including it ?

Ethan :

  | not in 1.x.
  |
  | if debian starts patching yaboot severely i will add debian to the
  | unsupported dists category.

The code is one which couldn't have any effect on existing plateforms using
yaboot, since there is only one interaction, which is the probing for an amiga
partition table, which happens only if no MBR or Mac partition tables or iso
filesystems were found. As a result, i cannot get a yaboot version which works
on my pegasos into debian, and need to resort to a local built package.

Friendly,

Sven Luther