Re: GPL-licensed packages with depend-chain to OpenSSL

On Sat, Sep 04, 2004 at 04:56:00PM +0200, Claus Färber wrote:
> Brian Thomas Sniffen <bts@alum.mit.edu> schrieb/wrote:
> > What's in a normal Debian install doesn't matter, because it all gets
> > distributed together on mirrors and in cd-packs.  There's a very
> > specific phrase used to keep MS and Sun from shipping Emacs with their
> > proprietary libc: "unless that component itself accompanies the
> > executable."

> If we follow this interpretation, this means that you can't distribute
> an closed source OS with GPL tools. IMO, this was not the intention of
> the GPL authors.

Of course it was.  The GPL is about advancing the cause of a wholly free
operating system; giving free operating systems a competitive advantage
over non-free operating systems that happen to provide free tools is
precisely in line with the goals of the framers.

And while you're free to doubt that this was the intent, this is
nevertheless what the letter of the license encodes.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer