Re: cdrecord: weird GPL interpretation

On Fri, Sep 03, 2004 at 10:09:31AM +0000, Andreas Metzler wrote:
> The second issue
>          * If you modify cdrecord you need to include additional version
>          * printing code that [...]
> in cdrecord/cdrecord.c only applies to cdrecord which is completely copyrighted
> by JS. Therefore he is able to license it as GPL+restrictions and if the
> restrictions are still DFSG free we are able to ship it as part of Debian/main.

Only if the implementation of that license is clear and consistent.  I
don't believe a work under the GPL with "clarifications" that don't
follow from the GPL in any way is either.

If he wants something like the GPL with extra restrictions, he should
follow the procedure for modifying the GPL: rename it (the CDRPL),
remove the preamble, and actually modify the text of the license.

--
Glenn Maynard