Re: cdrecord: weird GPL interpretation

Bernhard R. Link wrote:
> * M?ns Rullg?rd <mru@mru.ath.cx> [040902 17:11]:
> > > In particular, he seems to be relying on German "Authors' Rights", and
> > > claims to be in discussion with Debian people.  That's nearly a month
> > > ago.
> >
> > More specifically, he claims to be in discussion with Debian how to
> > stop SuSE from doing what they have every right to do.  I know nothing
> > about German law, so I can't comment on that bit.
>
> Only thing in German law I could imagine is that he could withdraw some
> of his work. Which would require him to pay everyone what it is
> currently worth before the ban can take effect and make it impossible
> for him to allow others to use it. Anyone knows some reading if there is
> any other possibility and if this possibilty is even applicaple to
> software?

I think he's trying to say that his moral rights were violated
by SuSE when they made a "broken" version of cdrecord. You are
indeed not allowed under German law to modify a work in such a way
as to damage the original author's reputation or good name.

However that doesn't cancel the license. It merely is a ground for
a civil lawsuit to obtain damages.

Arnoud

--
Arnoud Engelfriet, Dutch patent attorney - Speaking only for myself