Re: GPL-licensed packages with depend-chain to OpenSSL

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004, David Schleef wrote:
> > > For one thing, it's absolutely not possible to run the binary in
> > > such a way that openssl is not part of the process image.
> > Since when is Debian distributing linked process images?
> I have a lot of difficulty dicerning a legal difference between
> "distrubuting a file containing a program" and "distributing
> a bunch of files that become a program when assembled automatically
> by the system".  I think a judge or jury would have difficulty
> with this difference as well.

In response, I'll ask: why would a judge or jury consider those two to be
the same?  They're obviously not the same series of steps.

The way in which those two scenarios are the same is that they both have the
same result: the user ends up with a copy of the linked program.  But two
scenarios aren't equivalent just because they have the same result, unless
the result itself is what's prohibited.  And in this case, the result isn't
prohibited, just a particular method of achieving it.