Re: NEW ocaml licence proposal by upstream, will be part of the 3.08.1 release going into sarge.

Brian Thomas Sniffen writes:

> Matthew Garrett <mgarrett@chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes:
>
> > Brian Thomas Sniffen <bts@alum.mit.edu> wrote:
> >>
> >> It isn't.  The part of my message that you snipped made clear that
> >> it's the requirement that I must grant extra permissions which is
> >> non-free.
> >
> > What is the difference between granting of extra permissions and
> > granting of extra freedoms?
>
> Nothing.  Therefore, I require you to grant me a permissive license to
> all code you have ever written.
>
> Oh wait, that doesn't seem free to you?  Why?  Because it's a
> requirement.  What's the difference between charity and tax?  Tax is a
> requirement, charity is freely given.

Although certain varieties of logical fallacy[1] are popular on this
list, please try to engage less in hyperbole and more in arguments
that believably relate to software.  Ideally arguments will clearly
relate to actual licenses on software under discussion.

Michael Poole

[1]- Fallacies like strawmen arguments, illustrated in your post, are
members of a group colloquially known as Making Shit Up.