Re: Web application licenses

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004, Måns Rullgård wrote:
> Don Armstrong <don@donarmstrong.com> writes:
> > On Wed, 18 Aug 2004, Måns Rullgård wrote:
> >> Nobody has ever tried to extend the copyright of a program to
> >> include output produced when running the program.
> >
> > If no one has tried, it's because it's quite trivial to contruct a
> > case where a program's output is copyrightable and covered by the
> > copyright of the program.
>
> the output is not a work derived from the compiler.

Finally we've come to the critical point. It doesn't really matter if
you're dealing with a public performance or not. All that matters is
whether or not the output is a work derived from the program. For some
compilers, it might be. For others, possibly not.

Don Armstrong

--
[A] theory is falsifiable [(and therefore scientific) only] if the
class of its potential falsifiers is not empty.

http://www.donarmstrong.com
http://rzlab.ucr.edu