Re: Web application licenses

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004, Måns Rullgård wrote:
> Nobody has ever tried to extend the copyright of a program to
> include output produced when running the program.

If no one has tried, it's because it's quite trivial to contruct a
case where a program's output is copyrightable and covered by the
copyright of the program.

Consider a script that calls imagemagick to create an copyrightable
image steming entirely from information contained in the script. Or a
LaTeX "program" for that matter.

Don Armstrong

We don't believe this to be a coincidence."
 -- Jeremy S. Anderson

http://www.donarmstrong.com
http://rzlab.ucr.edu