Re: Choice-of-Venue is OK with the DFSG.

On Tue, Aug 17, 2004 at 01:38:26PM -0700, Bruce Perens wrote:
> Choice of venue can be a useful clause for the purpose of protecting
> Free Software authors from frivolous lawsuits /against them /in venues
> where it is difficult or impossible to defend themselves, but where they
> could still be damaged.

I am not aware of any such jurisdictions which would permit this in
the absence of a choice-of-venue clause, and which would also forbid
it in the presence of a choice-of-venue clause.

All that I'm aware of either fuck you over both ways, or neither
way. The civilised part of the world is generally the latter.

None of which is relevant anyway; almost everything that's not
DFSG-free is "useful".

> The closest DFSG term to this issue is the one about discrimination
> against persons or groups.

No, it's #1, "free distribution". Choice-of-venue clauses incur actual
monetary cost to the end-user at the whim of the copyright holder. It
would be approximately equivalent, from a DFSG perspective, if the
license said "On request of the copyright holder, you must pay them
$100".

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |