Difficult open source question

Hi folks,

I have a difficult query about open source, which I hope someone here
can help with. My friend Gordon was very close to having a working
Flash 7 player called "magnesium" that runs under Linux, and wanted to
release it as open source. He passed away last month, and his friends
want to do something with this software in his memory.

His computers were passed on to me, and I have the program at my
house. I can't see any copyrights anywhere, so: is it okay if we
release it as open source, and what should we do?

Thankyou,
Robert