Re: GPL-licensed packages with depend-chain to OpenSSL

On 2004-08-12 14:31:19 +0100 Daniel Stenberg <daniel@haxx.se> wrote:

I did another google and I've found enough references on the topic "openssl is PART of the OS" etc so no need to say anything else.

That doesn't work. OpenSSL is not an required part of the debian operating system at present, so I believe that part of the GPL doesn't apply to this situation for us. I guess it depends what a "normal" distribution of debian is: required and important packages, or more?

See http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2004/08/msg00221.html for a recent discussion ending with mention of this point. I'll CC this to you, as now I'm unsure whether you're reading the list.

Please email about: BT alternative for line rental+DSL;
Education on SMEs+EU FP6; office filing that works fast