Re: Debian domain in Japan (Was: Please add us to debian CD vendors list)

Josh Triplett wrote:
> >>Another vendor using the Debian domain.  I'm not sure if there is
> >>anything we can do about it but though at least you'd like to know
> >>someone has done this in Japan.
> >
> > Hmm, should we try to claim not to use debian domain?
> > I'm not familiar about domain name dispute resolution policy in .jp, but
> > we are "debian" trademark holder in japan, so I think we could file a
> > compliant against debian.co.jp.
>
> Do we really want to be going after a company which is selling Debian
> CDs and Debian server hosting, donating money to Debian, seems to be
> using the logos correctly
> (see http://debian.co.jp/catalog/legalnotice.php), links to the actual
> Debian site, and does not claim to be Debian?  All because they wrote in
> and asked to be added to the CD vendors list?

It may be worth discussing the issue with the vendor and signing a
'trademark use agreement' or something, so that this is a valid use
of the trademark and of the Debian name -- assuming it is a valid
use, of course.

Regards,

	Joey

--
Life is too short to run proprietary software.  -- Bdale Garbee