Re: nmap license

@ 10/08/2004 15:05 : wrote Mahesh T. Pai :

Humberto Massa said on Tue, Aug 10, 2004 at 11:21:56AM -0300,:

> You are right. this will render nmap undistributable by Debian.

Who's right? and why?

web interface in lists.debian.org did not play nice with my work mail server, proxy and my mozilla. sorry.

Glenn Maynard is right:

Notwithstanding the phrase "we don't consider these to be added restrictions", the "if you execute nmap you are a derivative work" phrase is both a NOP (it's the law that defines derivative works, not the license -- what the license can do is tell [via stoppel] what you WILL NOT consider a derivative work) and an added restriction (it's considering MORE things derivative than the GPL -- the GPL does not define derivatives, ie it gets the definition from copyright law)

In other words: either the nmap folks drop the "clarification" or nmap is non-DFSG-free *and* non-distributable (GPL+restrictions) and goes away from Debian. For reference and fun, one can read the reiser4 "non-plagiarism" license snafu, in this same list.

--
br,M