Re: nmap license

On Mon, Aug 09, 2004 at 08:07:01PM -0400, MOB JUNKY wrote:
>  * Note that the GPL places important restrictions on "derived works",
> yet *
>  * it does not provide a detailed definition of that term.  To
> avoid       *
>  * misunderstandings, we consider an application to constitute
> a           *
>  * "derivative work" for the purpose of this license if it does any of
> the *

As I understand it, "derivative work" is a specific legal term, defined
by law, not individual licenses.

>  * o Integrates source code from
> Nmap                                      *

>  * o Links to a library or executes a program that does any of the
> above   *

"Executes a program"?  Is this claiming that bash and Linux are derivative
works of nmap?

>  * We don't consider these to be added restrictions on top of the GPL,
> but *
>  * just a clarification of how we interpret "derived works" as it
> applies  *
>  * to our GPL-licensed Nmap product.  This is similar to the way
> Linus     *
>  * Torvalds has announced his interpretation of how "derived
> works"        *
>  * applies to Linux kernel modules.  Our interpretation refers only

As far as I know, Linus has no real standing to make such "interpretations";
I really wish people wouldn't use him as an example of how to handle legal
issues, as he sets, as far as I can tell, a horribly bad example.

--
Glenn Maynard