Re: RPSL and DFSG-compliance

Rob Lanphier <robla@real.com> wrote:
> > * What do you want to prohibit?
>
> You'll need to read the license for that.  However, tangible differences
> between RPSL and GPL are noted below:
>
> *  License-incompatible forking.  Our business model is predicated on
> dual-licensing of the source code.  RPSL insures that we can continue to
> reincorporate outside modifications into our dual-licensed codebase.

Unless I am misunderstanding, I think that this is going to be a
showstopper.  As I argued earlier with a similar clause in the QPL [1],
this is essentially a fee that is paid to the initial developer in
exchange for being able to modify and distribute the software.

> *  Use, modification, or distribution by parties that wish to bring
> patent lawsuits against us.

If you suspend patent (but not copyright) grants for patent lawsuits,
then we don't have too much of a problem.  Since patents cover use and
distribution, that should cover you.  Anything more is over-reaching.

Regards,
Walter Landry
wlandry@ucsd.edu

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2004/07/msg01705.html