Re: Please pass judgement on X-Oz licence: free or nay?

On Tue, Aug 03, 2004 at 12:34:27PM -0400, Brian Thomas Sniffen wrote:

> Those are both much narrower than this license, which talks about
> promotion or advertising of use or modification ("other dealings") of
> the work.  So I can't file a bug report and mention the author's name,
> because that is material promoting modification of the work.

 * Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a
 * copy of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"),
 * to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation
 * the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense,
 * and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the
 * Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:

First off, this is a grant of permission. It does not even /purport/ to
form a contract with you. It seems to opperate entirely in copyright
law. You don't need the copyright holder's permission to comment upon
(i.e., file a bug about) his work.

I can't find a way to read this other than "When you are using the
permissions granted by this license, you must observe these
restrictions."

This isn't to say it is free; just that I don't find the suggestion that
reporting bugs on it is illegal credible.